"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Low Counts

Ed had to have 2 blood transfusions today. His counts were low, so low that our oncologist seemed concerned.

I am unsure if this is related to the chemotherapy or the leukemia at this stage, but I do know that "blasts" are still not showing up in the blood test.

That doesn't mean they aren't there. They probably are, and so chemotherapy will continue.

I am working out the medication puzzler that links one of the bi-polar meds to leukemia. It appears that there is evidence that this particular med does affect the blood, and can cause blood disorder, but it has not been linked to leukemia yet.

I must file a report with the FDA.

And then, we may never know what caused this particular case.

I already wrote about my own trust in God for "why." THAT is settled, but if we all want to help the future treatment of leukemia we need to cover all the bases.

Also, I wanted to be sure we weren't shooting ourselves in the foot by continuing a medication that was linked to leukemia. That would be like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Well, sort of.

Minnesota was sad today to see the cold-hearted shooting of an officer yesterday. Also, the Ebola virus almost came to our neck of the woods last week. A man whose wife lives here died of the disease on his way here.

How close. How fragile. The world seems fragile and quaking right now.

I start again with the chemotherapy at home tomorrow. One day at a time, we fight this cancer.

Margaret emailed tonight. She's having a good week with "teen camp." She's excited to be coming home. I am excited to HAVE her home! I can't wait to hear about her summer. We are all looking forward to seeing her.

I think we are all feeling a little "low" right now. There are so many things to get through and done, so many things to await. So much going on. We're worn out. Low.

Ed's blood isn't the only thing that needs recovery!

No comments: