"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Saturday, January 14, 2017

A Week in January, A Year Older

I had a lovely birthday this past week.

Many kind wishes, contact with old and new friends, all made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

My dad turned 90 on the same day. He always said I was his best birthday present ever. He's so kind!

I get self analytical around my birthday each year. I know my failures as a wife and mother, and I certainly know my own sinful thoughts---but I'm struck by how thankful I am for God's presence in my life. As I get older I see His hand in almost everything.

It's truly amazing.

I realize that Satan is in charge of this world, and brings about many trials and tribulations through the sin, darkness, disease, and evil here, but God's power is evident in creation itself, and in the lives of believers. He has conquered death.

That is the ultimate.

I've been reading a book by Julie Ferwerda. It's called "Raising Hell" and it is a Universalist rallying cry.

Universalists believe everyone, Everyone, is going to heaven. No exceptions. Hell is really just a literary concept, conjured up by the linguists and interpreters of the ancient Biblical text. Julie gives a very thorough argument, and she quotes Scripture at length. She really worked on this book!

I think she really wants to believe in the Candy Land of eternal bliss for all life forms.

I get that. But I don't buy it.

You see, I bowed to a form of Universalism as a younger woman. I just wanted everyone----"the heathens in Africa"---to be in heaven after life on this earth.

I wanted all of us to be made new and well.

The Lord has been showing me that I was wrong, especially during these past two decades, as I've journeyed spiritually away from this happy place of NO CONDEMNATION. I finally had to realize that I was practicing idolatry, and changing the meanings of Scripture to what I wanted instead of what was plainly written.

Here's part of my journey away from Universalism, the steps, that is:

Idolatry---What is it? It's creating a god that I like, that I approve of

Scripture--It's true, reliable, inerrant, powerful, life-changing, and tremendously pivotal in the life of a Christ-follower

Genesis and Revelation---The two books Satan hates the most. To actually know them is to be immersed in truth that counteracts the counterfeit

Supernatural/Spiritual Interaction---A believer has had spiritual eyes opened, a supernatural act. This requires a repentance. A humiliating experience. Pride cannot play a part.

Hell/Heaven---Real places, real eternity, a truth that is only supernaturally experienced. Eyes MUST be opened to see it.

Jesus/Yeshua/Messiah/Christ---The Son of God, God, The Person we know as the Savior---This One  we must come to know, personally. To have a personal relationship with Him is to be saved, to be free from the past and the law of sin and condemnation. He is completely unnecessary if there is no hell.

God is LOVE, God is JUST---The love side is the happy side of Scripture. Julie Ferwerda likes this, as we all do. God's justice is another reality. We are obligated to study this side of Him, to understand, to not dismiss this. I remember a fellow student in college who simply could not face this side of God. I think she was like many people. God is the righteous judge.

Election? Choice?---Both are true. John MacArthur labels it "God's Sovereignty, Man's Responsibility"
Two conflicting ideas, an age-old argument, divisive because people lose their balance. BOTH ARE TRUE, and God is beyond our comprehension in this truth. God IS Sovereign. Man must choose.

Sanctification---It's real. It's daily. It's what we do. We are sanctified in Christ when we choose to repent and put our trust in Christ. We begin a process of spiritual sanctification daily thereafter. Some people are changed by the filling of the Holy Spirit instantly, addictions are taken away, strongholds are broken!
But some have a slog of a daily battle. No one can judge the spirit of anyone except the God of the judgment seat. He is the ultimate judge. It sure is exciting to see transformation, though!

Hell---God, the righteous judge has condemned ALL OF MANKIND. It happened in the Garden of Eden.
If you don't believe in HIS PATH to salvation, you are condemned.


You've been warned. I love you too much to let you slide down that slope toward hell. To write a treatise denying hell is part of paving the way of eternal destruction to billions.

God is holy. This stands as fact. He defines Himself. No one is forced to believe this, but it is truth as defined in Scripture. (I didn't make it up!)

I urge you to get right with Him. There is nothing more wonderful or truthful in our existence.

No comments: