"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, January 2, 2017

January 2017

Last night I went to the jail as I do on some Sundays. I work with Pilot Outreach, a jail ministry in the Sherburne County Jail.

It's always a blessing for me. The inmates that come to our meeting are seekers, sweet, and lovable. Many are in jail as illegal immigrants, many on drug charges. Some we simply don't know, and we never ask.

There is so much pain there. Weeping is normal.

Loss, loneliness, sorrow, regret, fear, anxiety, and sometimes little hope plague these women. They express their gratefulness when we show up---something different in their mundane lives.

They are truly a "captive" audience. Out of about 80 female inmates around 20 show up each week.

We sing several songs. We pray. We share. I read Bible stories.

It's pretty simple stuff, but how it affects all of us!

It was New Year's Day yesterday, so we talked about resolutions. We talked about good habits. We talked about living, and how to live. Two of us prepared something to share, and per usual, unplanned, we dove-tailed in the subject. God always does this!

We both talked about servant hood and our purpose in living. It struck a chord, as they nodded-- and "Yes!" was exclaimed over and over.

It's a message for me today.

I am called as a servant. Servants are all about their masters.
My master is Yashua HaMaschiach, and He commands me to serve EVERYONE. It's not about me, it's about everyone else.

This is hard for me. I am learning. I fail. I tend to be self-oriented.

But the LORD knows my struggles, and He patiently teaches me this lesson over and over.

I'm starting the new year with this book again. I took a hiatus from "Discovering the Bible" but I am excited to begin it again for 2017. It was written by a friend, Gordon L. Addington, who just happens to be the dad of two very important women in my life. They are the sisters that God gave me----not biologically, but spiritually.

We meet for coffee once a month, and catch up on EVERYTHING.
But we major on the things that God is doing in our lives, and I can tell you it's exciting!
All three of us are not immune to troubles. We have loads of them. But we all can attest to the power of God in getting us through unbelievable circumstances! Really.

I am beyond blessed to have these sisters.

Gordon Addington's Discovering the Bible

I was reading in the fourth chapter of Genesis this morning, and I wanted to share this side note about the names of the first genealogy from Adam to Noah. I've shared this before, but it is worth repeating over and over:

ADAM                                            MAN
SETH                                              APPOINTED
ENOSH                                          MORTAL
KENANA                                      SORROW
MAHALAHLEL                            THE BLESSED GOD
JARED                                           SHALL COME DOWN
ENOCH                                         TEACHING
METHUSELAH                             HIS DEATH SHALL BRING
LAMECH                                      THE DESPAIRING
NOAH                                           REST

(I got this from Chuck Missler at www.khouse.org)

Now read the meanings of the names as a sentence.

So beautiful. The message of the Gospel in the first chapters of the Bible!

Nothing is by chance. God is lovingly drawing you unto Himself.

As I start working two jobs tomorrow---subbing and working in the local delicatessen (come and see me!) I am encouraged by the BIG picture.

Our cancers, our poverty, our disappointments------they are all a part of God's beautiful plan to give us eternal hope and rest.

Believe it.


No comments: