"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Poetry

I was amazed at many friends sharing poetry last evening.

I guess New Year's Eve inspires the poet in each of us.

I attended my cousin's funeral. He was not old. Death came unexpectedly and unanticipated.

Death brings out the philosopher in each of us. We all die.
"Ten out of ten," said the preacher at the funeral.

I just happened to bring home a collection of books by Agnes Sligh Turnbull last week. I really like one of her novels, and I wanted to see some of her other work.

She wrote historical fiction mostly.

One of her things was a booklet about the death of a soldier. Written in 1943 the Second World War was in full operation. This book poetically compared the death of a young brave man to the death of Pheidippedis, the runner that inspired marathons. He died young and at the greatest moment of his life.

So died this young WWII soldier. I'd say small comfort, yet patriotism and love of country are truly worthy of sacrifice.

But only if eternal destinations are sure.

Hell is a place I'd want no one to go.

Death is a surety (unless the Rapture!) and hell is to be avoided at all costs. How do we avoid hell?

Simply believe and repent. Be filled with the Holy Spirit and let God transform your life by His grace.

You can't earn it. You are offered a gift. Accept that truth and you will be different.
God has His gentle and infinite ways.

But you must "play" by His rules.

So, please, for 2017, change. Repent. Come to the One who takes away all fear of death.
Death is beaten, conquered.

O Death, where is thy sting?
O Grave, where is thy victory?

Death is swallowed up in victory.

Happy thought. Happy 2017.

No comments: