"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Exodus Applied

I'm reading through Exodus right now. "Discovering the Bible" has us reading Exodus, Luke, and now Job this time of year.

Today I read about the golden calf.

There is so much in this story, but today, for me, it said that it is easy to fall away from God and make our own gods instead of the Creator.

So I asked myself---have I fallen away?

It was so simple, so quick, for the Israelites to forget God, to want something else.

I don't think our generation is much better than theirs.

When "we" make God wishy-washy on gender, on adultery, on divorce, on evil---and change the definition of what's right or wrong---we are making a golden calf. It's not God.

God talks about his book and names written in it in this very chapter. Erasing names.

This is an eternal theme, and Moses doesn't seem so ancient to me. God is still holding that book of life in heaven. Moses is alive and well (he appeared with Jesus on the mount).

The veil is getting thinner as we approach the great reunion in the sky. It's coming. Surely, it's soon.

We are not appointed to wrath, and God has promised to take us and shield us from it. (Luke!) Jesus has given us hope for each day, and that is all we are required to live.

Those of us who like to plan for the year, the next five years---ten---
There are no guarantees.

I look for Jesus.

It's going to get ugly down here, and I absolutely don't want to be around.

The interesting thing is that we will be swept away, in an instant, and life will go on here on earth as if little change occurred. A few people disappeared. Ho-hum. Yawn.

But then the wrath of God will begin to manifest on this little circle of Earth. People will be begging to die, but for some inexplicable reason they won't. They will have to endure the pain. Sounds awful.

It's going to happen.

God is true. His word is true.
Satan is a liar, and a cheater too.

He wants you to manufacture the golden calf of your imagination, fashioning your god to exactly the person you like.

It's so easy.

Wake up!

I still can't believe Aaron had a hand in all of that. I just don't get it. What was he thinking?

God is so merciful, so forgiving. His grace is beyond what any of us could think of. I am so thankful for that grace. Grace, grace greater than all my sin!

These Old Testament themes just don't go away.

They are eternal.

READ IT!

My mom is offering a significant dollar amount to each of her grandchildren, step-grandchildren, and their spouses to read through the Bible this year. It's a great idea.

I hope they all get their monetary award, but far greater is the knowledge of the Holy.
It will be interesting to see how the Spirit moves in each of them. I've always said that one needs the Holy Spirit to understand God's Word and appreciate its daily relevance.

Perhaps this will be a self-check of His residence within,
or an indicator of a golden calf that conflicts with the God of Scripture.

It's time to check.

Looking for that twinkling of a moment----!

No comments: