"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Friday, February 10, 2017

Friday, Recovering from a "Bug"

I only subbed three days this week, and they were really good days, but I was battling a cold, and fending off the Norovirus, apparently. It is in the school where I sub.

I haven't been that kind of sick. Yet.

I'm always concerned for Ed, and bringing bugs back to him, but since he is also at the community college, exposing himself to other humans, it seems less of a danger. I think my immune system is getting a bracing.

I loved subbing Business this week. One of the marketing classes watched a documentary on Steve Jobs, and it was interesting. The high school students are pretty self driven, self contained. I need to keep them on task to the best of my ability, and that's all I can do.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I said no to job this morning because my cough is still deep, and I just needed to rest. I work at the deli tonight. There's a new marquee outside the deli proclaiming it great! I have to smile. I do like working there. It's like being paid to work out. You can't believe the light lifting I'm doing. I can tell my upper arm strength is improving. There isn't a dull moment, what with slicing meats, wrangling the heavy-duty slicer, washing huge pans, lugging tubs of chicken, and a heavy fry basket! Add to that the mopping and the sweeping, bending and reaching---It's a work out! Cleaning is good exercise.

Oh, and the customers. They are fun, too. I'm meeting all sorts of people from the area. Since I live in a pretty classy neighborhood (the west side of Lake Minnetonka) I get to see ALL kinds. There are the genteel and the scruffy. I think there is an inordinate number of people who struggle with alcohol. That's disturbing. Sallow, unshaven faces with bleary eyes often appear at my counter.

And I say a prayer for them. What else can I do?

I know that a kind word can go far.

I'm getting to know my old habitat again, on a completely different level.

There has been a cold snap, but I think Spring will come early this year. I feel it. Hardly enough snow is on the ground to comment on. That's a disappointment. The chickadees are active, the deer are running in herds now.

I asked my husband to put up a new birdfeeder. Our old ones have been destroyed by the wildlife of the past, and we do need to keep the current wildlife fed. I'm excited to see if we can entice some Cardinals back to the place. I know they are around.

Ed had chemo and PT yesterday. His surgery looms. We're all getting jittery now.

Our church moved to its new home last Sunday. It was packed. (New church needed already?!)

It is so nice to have a sanctuary to worship in, with colored windows and pews. I like pews. You can squeeze in one more, or spread out. I hear that chairs are "in" though.

Having friends over for lunch, so I must close.

Have a nice weekend!

No comments: