"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Friday, December 28, 2018

Quiet End to 2018

The snow decided to come in large, fluffy flakes last evening. The temperatures dropped and rain turned to ice. It isn't exactly impassable out there, but it certainly is unpleasant.

We have the fire going, my knitting is progressing. I've re-watched LA Marzullis' first "Watchmen" DVD, as well as "Patterns of Evidence, The Exodus" and the two "Agenda" documentaries.

I listened to Griffin's lecture on YouTube on his "Creature from Jekyll Island" and I nosed through a few more lectures, too.

I'm knitting my son Jim's fisherman sweater. I finished my husband's sweater (finally) earlier this year. Jim's first one felted and shrunk slightly, so that is now being worn by another dear (smaller) person. Joe's is still intact, as far as I know. Ed's is still to come. The first one I knit for my husband is being worn by someone in South Dakota, the brother of a very special friend. It fits him, not my husband. I tend to knit things bigger than they need to be. It's my knitting fault.

Anyway, I'm knitting this quiet break from school between Christmas and New Year's Day.

I have so much to do, but my spirit has required a contemplative mood, and I'm busy with all those things that get neglected when we are speeding through normal.

Last Saturday I took the GRE. I did okay, so today I applied for grad school.

My math skills are suffering, so Cherie and I are daily studying the 8th grade math book that is used at the school where I substitute teach. I got one online, and I really need to brush up on Algebra. Cherie starts her math class at the community college in two weeks, so we're helping each other out with review.

I never have liked math, but I simply must force myself to review it.

I made a chicken pot pie today, and the cookies are disappearing. Cherie made home-made kimchi (one of the five most healthy foods in the world!) and it smells piquant and garlicky around here. The mouth waters. Margaret and her friends have been cooking things here too. Our holiday feasting continues, overall. Krumkaka, lefse, fruitcakes---we've had unconventional breakfasts for days now! I made a mince pie for Christmas. It was a first time for mince, for me, and it turned out pretty good. There is a friend of my dad's who loves it. He's in a nursing home, and my dad and mom brought him a piece. I wonder if he thought it was good.

I'm reading the Bible in Spanish right now. My high school Spanish needed a refresher course, so I decided to read through Scripture with my Spanish prison Bible. There are always about 5 women at the jail that cannot speak English. I need to be able to communicate better with them. I had listened to a Spanish course all summer long (Powerglide) and now I'm on to bigger and better things. Reading the Bible in a foreign language is a great way to become more fluent.

The pets keep us busy and on our toes, protecting them from coyotes while walking the "back 40." The sun goes down so early, so we take them out after dark at night. The coyotes are often close by, whooping it up. A corgi or a cat (Topi likes to go for walks with us) could be a delicious morsel for hungry coyotes. I have to whoop it up myself, scaring them away! I clap my hands and loudly sing to scare them off.

The snow cover has been sketchy, but today Margaret took out her cross-country skis and tried to forge a path. It was icy. Still, it is a minor victory to be able to ski out back any given year. When the field is soybeans or corn one cannot ski at all.

Are you thinking about the world and its changes? I am. It's natural to do so on the brink of a new year. Politics, changing spirituality, geological anomalies all add up to big questions about what is really going on in the world. I am watching.

We are watchmen. Are you ready for change?

I hope so. Please let me help you be ready!
It comes like a thief in the night, rapid, sudden, and monumentally life-changing.

Welcome, New Year!

May 2019 be a blessed time. Maranatha, Lord Jesus!




No comments: