"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Always Pray

So many things need prayer right now.

I have a friend with a brain tumor, a friend who has unexpectedly lost her mother, friends with aging parents who are very ill...

Margaret and Ourabby are out in the wilds and in a remote place (apparently) because we haven't heard anything for a few days, and that is unnerving.

Cherie is white water rafting in Colorado with friends....

We're attempting to handle our vehicle situation. It's hard. Our aging fleet is simply not responding to repairs easily, and we are down two much-needed forms of transportation! We need two more cars right now! (One of our cars was recently totaled in a freakish way.)

Everyone has to deal...

I've learned to expect at least 10 difficulties when one big one hits. It's inevitable. Sometimes I just want to crawl in a closet and hide, but that's not a viable option.

One must face the music...

Keeping things normal is really a myth, but I always think of Elisabeth Elliot's mandate "Do The Next Thing" when times get interesting.

"Don't Be Anxious."

This is a COMMAND from Christ. Boy, what a hard one to follow! I struggle with keeping this command almost everyday, but my go-to practice is to breathe a prayer to God for help in dealing with whatever is most pressing.

This is the way we live and move and have our being.

I'm not an advocate of contemplative prayer. I'm opposite of that, but I do believe in constant prayer, and if that is a thought, a word, a half hour of pouring out my heart....any and all of these are necessary.

So today, as I swim, as my husband borrows a truck with bad brakes, as Margaret wanders the wilderness, as Cherie drives the mountains of Colorado, as Ed manages his burdens, as I prepare for school and try to meet all of my work obligations, as my friends work through their heaviness, as my family LIVES...

...I pray. 

No comments: