"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, October 5, 2020

Moral Compass

 In my studies as a public administrator I am struck with the philosophy behind organization and its premises. One thing that crops up in my reading is morality and the common good.

Since my textbooks are all about administration on the global scale I am always amazed to find reference to the morality of governance and the "common good." 

We are asked to navigate situational ethics, the best of the situation, the greater good. 


How fascinating. 

When humans try to mimic God's moral absolutes with their superior manifestos ("I'm better!") there is bound to be failure.

And that is also acknowledged by the authors of my textbooks. Failure seems to be an acknowledged given.

When we criticize God and His mandates we are putting ourselves above Him. Many think that they have a higher moral ground than God Himself. The moral compass that is seated in the conscience by the Creator. 

How do we know that Creator? 

We must accept Him at His word: the Bible. 

When I finally accepted that the Bible was indeed truth my worldview shifted. Before I just believed God was wishy-washy on lots of things. He's just a nice guy. I loved Jesus. I loved "good." I liked everyone to be saved, everyone to be happy, I wanted everyone to have a Coca-cola.

Actually, the current Age of Re-enchantment, (See Carl Teichrib's book, "Game of Gods") really touched on that worldview. I was a product of post-modernism, and the next philosophical age is the age of re-enchantment. 

I believed more philosophically in line with this current age. 

That moral compass is a shifting organism that never finds Truth. 

The only moral compass that has any validity is the one held in God's hands. 

The only moral compass that describes God's ways is the Bible. None other. 

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except by Me." Here Jesus is claiming to be God (I am) and the exclusive path to Truth. 

It is interesting to see the current artwork that features "I am" in it. The pagans like to chant it. Many recognize it from Moses' encounter at the burning bush, but it has become a thumbing in the nose of God. 

God is "I am." We are not "I am." We are other. We are not God. 

God is the rule setter, the provider, the one who defines. Satan will trip us up daily on this, helping us to question God, but ultimately we are simply creation, not Creator. Who are we to argue? 

Does the clay argue with the potter? 

Let God set the moral compass, and follow His ways, His truth, His mandates. God commands. When we break His commands we seek to justify our bad behavior and set up our new moral compasses. 

They don't work, and they lead to idolatry and despair. 

God is pro-life. God is pro-marriage (as Jesus defines it in Matthew). God is against theft and lying. He is against evil. God is love. That is how he defines Himself. 

Throw out your moral compasses and get the one that is from the Creator. 

Let's stop putting ourselves above God.

No comments: