"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A little Softer

Just some news about life right now.  We're fighting colds, at least most of us are. We are getting out of the house to see science films at the Science Museum---"Hubble," "Tropical Rainforest," so far.  Tomorrow we hope to see another one.  "Hubble" was impressive.  Also I watched online the new documentary "Iranium." Disturbing.
Exercising at the YMCA is not effortless when it is below zero.  It's good for us to get out.  The van is frigid and it takes considerable amounts of fuel to get it warmed up for the two mile trip to exercise. 
I'm happy to see two fat grey squirrels cavorting down the snow paths from tree to tree, along the fence rails and up to the feeders on sunny mornings.  These two little squirrels were young-uns last summer and it is fun to see how grown and healthy they are.  They seem to enjoy each other so much.  There's life out in the icy landscape!
Bees are still alive.
My husband attended the bee meeting tonight at the University and attendance was beyond any expectation!  Twice the usual February meeting number showed up!  Bee keeping is catching on.  That is a good sign.
I was at violin and cello lessons with three of my children.
The instruments don't even sound the same in this dry cold! They lose their voices too.
Everyone is crying out for a little relief from the bitter cold, and it is on the way. Days are growing longer, tomorrow should be in the twenties. The sun is shining and the air is really fresh.
The job search goes on for my husband. It can be very stressful just waiting between interviews, wondering what the companies are thinking, re-hashing what occurred during the meetings. Unemployment is wearing in multiple ways. I'm thankful for the dozens of people who are praying for us, and I know patience is a virtue we could all learn to practice more.  It's just not a pleasant lesson.
Current reading: "Phantastes," by George MacDonald. "The Birth of Venus," by Sarah Dunant. "When a Nation Forgets God," by Edwin Lutzer, "Across Five Aprils," by Irene Hunt, and "Wuthering Heights," by Emily Bronte, (again). 
I'm falling behind in my Sudoku obsession, and I am getting out of practice! But my crossword puzzle skills are improving.
This is the month to play games, and we have enjoyed "Settlers of Catan" and "Dutch Blitz."  I love "Rummicube," but I haven't got that one out yet.
I love to do puzzles in March.  It wiles away the time until Spring. 
Probably there won't be time then with various activities coming up.
Every Thursday my husband and I attend our choir rehearsal.  The Northern Lights Chorale is singing the best program yet!  Old favorites, inspiring arrangements of dear hymns, and some brand new choral compositions of ethereal beauty. Thursdays are a taste of heaven for me.
Five active and productive children are a blessing from the Lord, and home schooling them is also a gift. My life is anything but dull, but this time of year always gets me a little down health-wise. I'm hoping for the stamina to land softly in the season of renewal.

No comments: