"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Spurgeon

I've been reading this week. One thing I finished was a biography about Charles Spurgeon. I didn't know much about him except that he's frequently quoted by pastors, referred to, and admired. Now I have my own opinion.
I think I would have enjoyed knowing him.
He struggled with pain most of his life, yet he always kept the most important thing central; Christ crucified, Christ the Lord. He could fill large auditoriums 2 to 3 times a day just preaching the same thing. There must have been a genuine power to his message and his character.
This encourages any believer in this era.
We might be impressed by the Rick Warren's, the Rob Bell's, the Franklin Graham's, and whoever the preacher du jour is, but it's the day to day life of a true believer that really speaks to the spirit. Lived-out spirituality.
It is a privilege to know someone who actually is living out his or her spirituality. Someone who dares to go against the modern tide of humanism and feel-good (hedonistic) self-help idealism. Pick up any magazine at the grocery check-out and you can't escape it!
I may not be in sync with all of Charles Spurgeon's theology, but it would be great to have known him. The book said his voice was interesting, and that is one of the saddest things about death. The voice is silenced.  At least we have his thoughts.

No comments: