"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Editors

Last night I had a visit from the Apostrophe Police. If you recall, I used several apostrophes indiscriminately in the last post. I am thankful I was issued only a warning, so I must be careful from now on or surely I'll be ticketed next time.
English is the most wonderful tongue to have as a native language. It's so bendy-flexi-manipulative that you really need to know the ins and outs to use it with confidence, but you can practically murder it and still be understood.
Funny thing, but language aptitude must be somewhat genetically revealed in my family. My dad taught speech at the Crookston Agricultural School in the 50's. My mom is an RN with heightened English skills (those of you who know her would agree with me) yet no official experience to document it, except that all of her children married people with remarkable English ability. My two brothers both married editors, and I married a man with a major in English Literature. Clearly this is a sign of language gene dominance.
Just because my career field is in education does NOT qualify me to be mistake-proof in the usage of English. But I do not get away with it easily. I have a ready staff of Corrections Officers at my disposal. So, please pardon my English!

No comments: