"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Are We Alone?

A few weeks back our broker at Primerica gave a little talk that I've been mulling over ever since. He talked about his life and the hard knocks he'd been through, most recently his wife's bout with cancer.

I heard him state emphatically that no one really cares about you, therefore you need to look out for yourself! When cancer hit his wife, people retreated. He heard them say that they were sorry, that they'd be there for him, that they would...


And then they all left. Some even blamed him for "dropping the ball."

I was so sad for him. The point of his talk was to show that he had to find his own way out of the mess, stick up for himself, and-----who cares about the other guy?!

In our own valley of unemployment I have NEVER felt alone. I have felt the strength of prayer. I am aware of the ---hundreds?---of prayers that are said for our family every day. I sense God's presence in the dark moments, the quiet voice repeating Scripture to my spirit, reassuring me that He is there, He hasn't left me. I am buoyed up when someone says that they are praying for us! I know that God uses His people to BE THERE!

We are never alone.

And I am so grateful for your prayers. Our valley still winds before us, but I KNOW that the Pass over the edge exists. Perseverance, trust, hope, and discernment are my companions too.

On the side, I enjoy learning financial services, and realize what a tremendous benefit they can have for people, but I'm clear that the people I help and work with all have a greater need for God to be present in their lives. Age old story!

No comments: