"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Ouch!

"So every time Albert Molher writes a blog entry insisting the Earth is ten thousand years old, Adam and Eve were real people, and evolution is false. He’s fighting the last battle and asking people to enter the walled garden with him. Meanwhile people outside the garden see the new battle brewing and aren’t listening to him."   MH-scientismist, comment on Rod Dreher's blog

An Article to Consider

This is an article written in response to a NYT article on stupid fundamentalists. It's worthwhile reading, if you have the time, but I think the comment written on a related article (and quoted above) sums up quite a bit, from a different perspective.

In the last days there will be apostasy. People who see Scripture as suggested material to follow will be easily led down a path to destruction (as Scripture suggests!)

I am with Albert Mohler on this one. I much prefer to be in the safe house than outside. I may not make issue with most theological disunity, but I testify that my spirit resonates with the truth of Scripture, and how it beautifully reflects the world we live in, scientifically and metaphorically.

Even so, Lord Jesus, quickly come! Night shall be no more. Light shall conquer darkness, and we shall see Him as He is.

When I think of discernment and spiritual growth I think of those who tell of times in their lives spent alone with the Lord, perhaps forced like Brother Yun, or willingly like Sadhu Sundar Singh, I see a pattern of shock they experience at the moral slide of culture while they were "away."

We must keep current with our world. How else can we tell the Good News? But watch, lest you become comfortable with deception. Don't slide. Don't scoff at saints of old. Learn of them and from them.

Jesus died for sinners. Jesus saves. Jesus loves me and you. "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved." It really is simple. Let the Lord open your heart to Truth.

You will never be the same, and no, the world is NOT going to understand. The things of the spirit are not of the flesh. Come to Jesus quickly! Times are showing that things are coming to conclusion.

As old friends of the faith pass away, the burden falls on another generation to preach spiritual truth to the lost. Never let an opportunity slide, as you will have to give an account for it. (Romans 14:12)

And be encouraged! When people call you "dumb" or  "stupid," and they are frustrated and annoyed by you, take heart. You are experiencing exactly what Christ Himself did, 2,000 years ago.

But make sure you really aren't just annoying! :) Make sure you are loving and serving those you offend! (And that IS hard.)

Food for thought.

I have been thinking more about theology than bees and corgis lately, but during this time of intense waiting for corporations to decide if my brilliant husband actually is worth the gamble in this horrid economy under Obama, I think. I swim at the YMCA almost every day and I think while I'm doing laps. I think as I drive my son's cello down to the U, or ferry my other charges to and fro. Low times are perfect for thinking.

Sturm and drang and angst are all conducive to the artist. If you didn't have conflict to work out life would be vanilla. Granted, I could use a little vanilla right now, after a year of exotic flavors of waiting and pondering.  I think I'm at the point where I want to reflect on the PAST experience of difficulty, not anticipate it daily.  But yes, it is good for me. I am becoming a larger person (though I weigh the same, stepped on the scale tonight!) and that is generally positive.

And I write this hoping that someone else will find hope here, in a hopeless world. People like me actually do tell a life story of hope.

No comments: