"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Friday, January 6, 2012

"Future Classics"

My dear friend who teaches in Budapest was home for Christmas and while here gifted my husband and me 2 tickets to the Minnesota Orchestra for this evening's concert.

What a treat!

Six young composers had their works performed by this great orchestra, and the result was really marvelous!

I think "modern" music has turned a corner from dissonance into sound quality appreciation. The noise was pleasant and thought provoking.

I think I enjoyed the work by the Chinese composer the most, but the first piece of the evening, a premier work by a young man from Downer's Grove, IL, was also really good.

I had never before the chance to see Osmo Vanska conduct, and that was fun too. What energy!

Some of us listen to NPR/MPR radio a lot, and Fred Child, host of a daily NPR program was the host for this concert tonight. He did a good job interviewing the young composers----and that was much of the fun of the evening. It was very entertaining.

Thanks Elaine, for a wonderful evening!

No comments: