"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, January 9, 2012

"What's for Dinner, Nurse?"

When my mother was a nurse years ago she cared for a patient who had little to do but look forward to the next meal. At the start of breakfast she would ask, "What's for dinner, Nurse?"

We've chuckled over that one.

Proverbs 13:25 says "the Righteous eat to live, but the wicked live to eat."

Convicting words, when you are in the kitchen trying to scrounge up some vittles that are appetizing!

After a busy day at Corgi Hollows the last thing I want to do is fix dinner. But I've come up with a plan that has really been a life-saver for this family.

I've read "all" the books on home organizing :), and I've gleaned a few tidbits of information about dinner prep and planning. I've even looked into the once-a-month cooking option (too much work!) and other nice ideas for variety, like following the "Woman's Day" meal calendar. But I've resorted to this fool-proof and easy to vary pattern.

Monday: Pot Roast (with fresh french bread or mashed potatoes)
Tuesday: Chicken night (usually from Costco----So inexpensive to serve!) with rice---or ?
Wednesday: Italian Night----pizza, spaghetti, or (rarely) lasagna
Thursday: SURPRISE! (Leftovers or a casserole, if I'm in the mood). Or something Completely Different.
Friday: Fish and vegetables
Saturday: Burgers on the grill and shakes, or hotdogs on the campfire with s'mores
Sunday: Stir fry

As all of us live lives that are fast-paced and full of activity this plan rarely plays out the entire week. It has been something to fall back on, and my grocery shopping is fairly straightforward.

I keep lots of frozen vegetables in the freezer, and canned green beans. You can't serve enough of these!  I also buy lots of fresh fruit, which I "push" on my kids. (Costco fruit is wonderful!)

Even though I am not much of a cook, I do like to bake, and I enjoy having a home-baked dessert on hand.

Having had a rich heritage of great cooks and bakers on both my husband's side of the family and mine I have a treasure trove of excellent recipes to make for my family. Sometimes I think it would be fun to make my own collection in a book form, but that won't happen for awhile yet. I confess to collecting cookbooks too. I like to read the recipes more than make them! I suppose that is its own form of gluttony?!

This New Year I'm trying something a little different that I read about. It is a plan to correct the PH balance in the blood by adding more alkaline foods to the diet. I have been eating lots of spinach, green tea, molasses, and carrots to counter-act the acid foods I prefer. I'm giving it the college try! I think it might have helped my brain activity already!  (Now that's something!)

It's Monday and the pot-roast is almost done. Sweet potatoes just got popped in the oven and I've got asparagus ready to heat.  I'm on track today!

(And school has started for 4 out of my 5!) Almost full throttle.

No comments: