"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, January 23, 2012

Snow Stories

Misty is unwell. She sports a lovely purple collar with all her identification jewelry at times. In the summer I noticed it must only be worn on walks, because it chafed at her ruff and caused a sore on the underside of her neck. Sweat, we supposed.

We let her keep it on this January, and it appeared to be well and fine, but two nights ago we discovered she was suffering from the same problem! Sweat can't be an issue (even with this being a "warm" winter) so we are assuming her ruff is just too sensitive!

She is having Hydrogen Peroxide sponge baths for now. We'll see how she responds. Poor creature!

I have been unwell myself. I won't bore you with the details. The only advantage of being unwell is that it gives so much time to process Happenings! The mind just doesn't check out as quickly as the stuffed sinuses and the sore-throat.

I am reading several interesting books, "The Tehran Initiative," by Joel Rosenberg, "Until They Bring the Streetcars Back" (a Minneapolis book), "Confidence Men," by Ron Suskind, and I am slowly working through "Out of Africa," by Isak Dineson. I'm savoring the last one. It is beautifully written, and I imagine Africa as I read.

I've never desired to go to Africa.

Perhaps this book will change me.

We are reading about otters in school right now, so Wednesday we plan a trip to the Minnesota Zoo, in Apple Valley to see the darling otters. (And the other creatures). What amazing animals they are! So full of fun, so clever, and such caring parents! They actually teach their babies to swim, sweetly and gently.

Nothing can beat the inquisitive beady dark eyes that meet your own from behind the glass.

We are working through Jobe Martin's "Creatures That Defy Evolution" series. This is a fascinating portrait of animals. Recommend!

A note of gratitude to God today: We have icy roads, as a sleet-snowstorm came through since yesterday afternoon. My eldest was home for a class he was taking, and had to drive the Minneapolis-Fargo Interstate 94 section (4 hours) through the storm last night to get back to class and be at Physical Training at 6:00 this morning. He made it by 10:30 last night, with much prayer and a few cell phone checks. (Thank you, Lord!)

My second son had to leave at 5:00 this morning and navigate the slippery roads to the University of Minnesota, also to be on time for Physical Training. No news is GOOD news, and I thank the Lord that he must have made it.

I took Margaret to school, slipping the whole way, noticing that traffic was crawling on the highway toward Downtown. She arrived safely, and I arrived back home!

Living in Minnesota gives so many opportunities to cry out for the Lord's help, and thanking Him every time a scary trip in the weather is accomplished.

My husband made it to work too! The snow is still falling, and it looks beautiful.

Last week's challenge was the low temperatures! Below 0 several mornings.

Why do we LIVE HERE?

We really do love it. Life is never boring. The snow is gorgeous, the cozy homes are so inviting! Most of the time the highway department gets things in shape before long.  It isn't so bad.

Snow stories are always so exciting too!




No comments: