"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Beets and Onions

I tried to cook my organic beets today with a flavor of past memories, but it wasn't quite right.

I think onion is the key ingredient, and I had an abundance of onion leftover from the "hobos" we made at Fort Ridgely this past weekend camping.

I put lean ground beef, much onion (about a cup), avocado, carrots and organic potatoes in my non-stick foil packet to cook over the camp fire.

It was excellent.

Today I'm using the leftover onion with my organic beets to see if I can mimic those beets I loved when I was a child.

It just isn't right yet. The beets are pretty good, though.

Had a wonderful time camping at the historic fort on the Minnesota River this past weekend. The weather was  perfect, if a little dry. The coyotes sang us to sleep, and the trees lazily dropped their leaves on our tents.

It's the 150 year anniversary of the Dakota Sioux conflict this year. It is an interesting history lesson to wander the ruins of the fort and visit the battlefields there.

We made the pilgrimage to the Harkin Store too. That is always fun.

Now it's time to get back into the week-life. Busy days. Margaret struggles with a heavy school load. This weekend is the prophecy conference we love to attend: Rabbi Jonathon Cahn, Dr. Erwin Lutzer, Mark Hitchcock, and Bill Koenig are scheduled to speak. School is happening, and we are all interested in the happenings around the world.

These are exciting times.

No comments: