"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Books

I am a bibliophile. I admit it. I'm sure there are therapy groups somewhere for people like me, but I haven't taken the time to find one yet because I love my addiction too much to give it up yet.

Thankfully my husband is a wonderful enabler and fellow bibliophile. It truly was a marriage made in heaven!

We are, therefore, bringing bibliophiles into the world, one after another, with hopes of populating our family with more and more bibliophiles!

That being said, I have a weakness for books that have been marked way down that pertain to science, geography, knitting, art, history, and British literature. I snap them up for 25 cents or BOGO at the library sale cart, or on the clearance display at the Barnes and Nobles.

You'll find our shelves bursting.

If ever the internet goes away and libraries shut down please come and make yourself at home here with us.

Last week, on a legitimate trip to B and N, (I had to get one book) I found a book by David MacAulay "The Way We Work," marked down to $2.00.

Ed picked it up and worked through half of it the first day, happy to inform me all about cell reproduction and how each type of cell uniquely builds in our amazing bodies. (I love that type of learning---the student teaching the teacher!)

I realized as I glanced through the book after Ed's concise explanation that here was the wonder of God's creation simplified by a really good author! And even in its simplicity the complexity of God's work astounded my mind!

There is nothing to be ashamed about in admitting that micro-biology is mind blowing. It cannot and would not be coldly reduced to evolutionary cause. The belief that it evolved, and the scientific impartiality toward the glory of God's work is rather simplistic.

It just isn't possible that Chance came up with this sort of design. Design it is. Amazing, wondrous, glorious Design.

And that is self-explanatory to my students.

"When you read you start thinking..."---Gaston, in Beauty and the Beast.

Book Power.


No comments: