"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, October 29, 2012

Prune and Fig Cake

There is a biological urge to bake more as the weather turns colder. I know this. We crave the flavor of ginger and cinnamon, of apples baking and pumpkin lattes.

I came up with a batch of REALLY GOOD molasses cookies a few weeks back. I think they were the best cookies I'd ever made. EVER. The molasses was organic, and so were the eggs. I used butter and sugar and flour and spices---and the cookies were memorable. The recipe was on the back of the organic molasses bottle.

Today I was making a cake. I decided to use the recipe from the Betty Crocker cookbook, "Spicy Prune Cake."  But a quick look in the fridge revealed some dried figs that needed to be used up, so I threw those in with the prunes.

I remembered how good a little cocoa can be with dried fruits, so I put in 1/4 cup of cocoa too, along with the cinnamon and nutmeg.

Ed had made some ginger candy that also needed to be transformed. I heated it up, back to sugar stage, and whipped that into the mixture too.

Wow. It's fruity, chocolatey, spicey, and moist.  I frosted it with cream cheese frosting. It looks like something from the early 1900's. Do history books ever make you long for a long lost treat?

This cake will certainly be history, never to be duplicated, again. (But we'll enjoy it while it lasts!)

No comments: