"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Big One

I had a rather significant birthday this month, and it was celebrated in the perfect way with perfect friends. A little surprise, a little sweetness, a lot of love.

I'm blessed.

As we age we learn.

Being there, aged, is a gift, and yet it isn't always easy to grow old.

My son, Ed, is writing a novel right now. I hear snippets of plots and action (and believe me, it's pretty out-of-this-world!) and I hope I don't ruin it by saying he's thinking of a very long-lived hero. And it's not a good thing: it's a curse.

I think Ed is pretty sharp for thinking that through!

To grow old and die in Christ is all good.

"We must live the appointed days," says the character in "Wives and Daughters," (Elizabeth Gaskell).

How true. And each one can be lived in acceptance of God's way or bitterness of defeat.

And the pain is just there. It's honing and sharpening and stretching. We mustn't give up, and we look to the next half of our centuries with expectation!

No comments: