"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, March 18, 2013

Bach Walk

Saturday was busy. Fun busy.

We got to the Luther Seminary Chapel at 9 am for an all- Bach concert, the start of a five concert day featuring works of Bach.

I call it the "Bach Walk."

We only made it to 3 of the five concerts. (We had to wrap up the swim season in the afternoon---Scouting merit badges were earned.)

It was in the second concert, at the smaller, older, more intimate chapel on Luther Seminary, that I was moved with the timelessness of J.S. Bach.

It was during an allamande, played by a wonderful pianist with the cool name "Bethel," that I realized I was thinking thoughts that Bach must have thought. The meanderings of the peaceful music touched something deep in my spirit.

Bach understood the spirit. The language reaches across all the ages of time, and we see glimpses of our nature through it.

In the first concert the National Lutheran Choir sang parts of the Mass in b minor.

Oh my.

The "Dona Nobis Pacem" is one to catch your breath. Perfect trumpet, perfect organ, and perfect building of sound. Absolutely perfect.

It was on MPR Classical 99.5 on Saturday morning, live, and I'm sure it blessed everyone who heard it.

Ed, my budding organist, came home from these inspirational moments and began to play through his Bach book.

The joy continued.

http://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2013/1311/?elq=387dbd7562b44fef8a2e4239073562c6&elqCampaignId=1157

Here's a little Bach for you. It's his birthday this week. I hope you can be caught up in the spirit as we were!




No comments: