"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, June 1, 2017

Bitterness

It seems strange to be thinking about such a bitter topic when one's world is so full of joy and peace, but perhaps I'm struck by the contrast and the incongruity of it in my own paradigm and I'm sorry. I'm sorry for the bitterness that affects people more than they realize.

For starters, little Corwyn has joined our home.

I tried to adopt a rescue for about three months, applied at 4 different rescues, made inquiry. It was discouraging.

I asked about a rescue that was listed as a Corgi/Rat Terrier mix, only to find out that they had just guessed at the breed cross. Possibly no Corgi DNA at all!

I love dogs. I hate to see any dog destroyed or unloved. Blackberry is a mix of Labrador Retriever, Golden Retriever, and Rottweiler. I'm not a snob, but I do love Corgis, and Corgis are for Corgi Hollows. I had a Corgi hole, and now it's filled.

Corwyn is absolutely darling.

She is spunky and smart, and she's nestled her way into all or our hearts. We wish she could stay this small, but it's just not happening. She's already bigger five days into our time together!

She's growing fast, learning fast, and we are in love.

We enjoyed seeing the farmer and his wife where Misty was born. It was an interesting weekend.

On Thursday we drove down the Mississippi river valley to LaCrosse, WI to head east, through hill and dale, Platteville, and other Wisconsin River hamlets to Kenosha for a wedding. Arriving just in time to help decorate the reception area, afterwards we enjoyed a nice restful night. The wedding was at 3:00 the next day, so we spent a leisurely morning getting prepared.

After a lovely ceremony, (in the rain!) we celebrated the new bride and groom and met new friends at the reception, made lovely with lit candles and white flower arrangements---beautiful.

Bright and early on Saturday we left Kenosha and drove across Illinois and Iowa to Council Bluffs, where we had a Rendezvous with the sheep farmer.

Corwyn was instantly loved.

We brought her to my in-laws' home that night, and then finally home on Sunday. She seems to have accepted us as her new "pack" fairly readily.

It's been a good week at Corgi Hollows. The grass is practically waist high back in the pastures. The vines that keep the rain out of the porch have abundantly leafed. The nights are chilly, but the days are sunny and warm. Not too warm. Just right.

Life is good.

We have had a party and guests everyday since coming home. Everyone wants to meet Corwyn!

Life's a party.

I subbed today, and believe me, those teachers deserve a great amount of praise for these last days of the school year. The kids are just sky-high! I teach tomorrow too, and at least two days next week. Summer vacation is sounding great right now.

We had a scarlet tanager stop by. Astounding colored plumage, distinctive bird call. I loved seeing it.

If only we could live in our own bright little worlds.
But we cannot. We must foray into the depth and darks of life on Earth. We must meet discouragement with understanding and love. We must become sensitive to the needs of others who do not believe the way we do.

Today, as President Trump spoke about the climate initiative on BBC my eye followed the scrolled comments on Facebook regarding the speech.

Not one positive comment, just bitterness rolling out in waves and waves. I think Trump is perhaps the most hated man on earth. People cannot fathom him.

I have lost one friend over this election of Trump. May I remind you that I never liked Trump. I just could not possibly vote for Hillary Clinton. One may think horrors of Donald Trump. The horrors of Hillary were far worse in my opinion. My former friend doesn't agree. There has been a bitter declaration of Trump hatred and a snuffing out of friendship.

Sad. Bitterness. Damage.

There are always many factors in every relationship. There's give and take, understanding, or lack thereof.
Sometimes there are proximity issues. Time. Every friendship battles the mundane distractions of life. It's just so upsetting when philosophies become the dividing forces, and although understandable, I grieve over it.

I wish things weren't the way they are.

I wish people could agree to disagree and still be friends.

It just doesn't work that way. There are always the ones that need to convince you you are wrong, or misguided.

Of course I know the Bible is right. I'm pretty strongly aligned on that premise. But I will talk to you, love you, help you, get to know you ----and keep you as my friend despite a major breach in our philosophies.

Really.

I've been convicted of loving those who aren't very loveable. We're supposed to do that, too.

Some of us have that opportunity every day, every minute, every time we go to work!

So I conclude that those who cannot bridge that philosophical gab may be harboring a spirit of bitterness, and that will finally take its toll on the soul.

 Bitterness hurts. It makes the bones brittle. It gnaws at the heart. It sullies friendships. I know. I fight it too, even when my world is practically perfect. There is always someone who rains on my parade.

So I say this in love and understanding: Don't let bitterness grow in your heart. It will kill you.

As bad as Obama was for Bible believers, bitterness inducing policies---pro abortion, pro homosexual, pro Islam, we all weathered the eight year drought and made it through. The same will be true for the anti-Trump crowd. Weathering conditions is the human experience.

It's fatal when bitterness takes over, though. Truly.

Love your enemies. Pray for those who persecute you.
Wise words from the author of creation.

May you find strength to forgive, to love.


No comments: