"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Everything's Coming Up Roses

The sun is shining. Peonies are madly blooming. I just read a book by Frances Hodges Burnett titled "Miss Crespigny" that was published in 1878.

I got it from the Minneapolis Public Library, and it is a treasure. It's been rebound, but the pages are fragile.

The subtitle is "A Very Romantic Love Story."

These sweet stories from old are so innocent and pure. I had ordered a stack of books from the library by or about F.H. Burnett. I had no intention of reading all of them, but I perused through them and chose a couple to read. She was a prolific author. "A Little Princess" is perhaps one of my all-time favorites by her.

"The Making of a Marchioness" is really good, but "Miss Crespigny" sort of captured my own heart. I doubt that there are many copies around, so good luck finding one. I enjoyed it.

Roses, romance, sweet innocence, good character----nothing dark, nothing evil! What a contrast to today's young adult literature.


Sometimes we need to focus on something uplifting in this dark world.


Jesus is coming soon! We watchers are sensing a "thinning of the veil" and only those with closed spiritual eyes do not see the closing act of time approaching.

But now we see these days we're bound by, June 2018. Today is the last day of school where I substitute teach. I wasn't called today, and of course I wasn't expecting to be called. I subbed two days this week, and left the school with a sweet fragrance of closure for the school year.

I hardly know what to do with myself.

Just kidding.

Ed's surgery looms. Next week. Yesterday he had his regular appointment at the oncology clinic and his platelets are still low. All was cleared for surgery, though. Everything else looked really good.

Please pray with us for a rise in the platelet level (and insight into what will help increase platelets in the blood) and a successful surgery.

Please pray for a good night's rest for our surgeon before the surgery.
Please pray for no great surprises when they open Ed up.
Please pray for a quick and low-pain recovery.
Please pray for mental health and good response to medications.
Please pray for my husband and me to have peace during the week.

Thank you!

I had a few days of problems and issues that arose over the past two weeks. Sometimes things come up that you have no control over, for no apparent reason even. Yet these problems affect the spirit! Our days are full of questions, wondering, pleading with the Lord to work things out...

And He does. Always, eventually.

Those of us who love the Lord can see His gentle guidance, and we always know that we are anchored in something far bigger than ourselves. He is in control, even in death, and those of us who are saved by Him should have no fear.

So, roses, indeed. The June blooms are just starting here in Minnesota.

Rise up, oh my love and now come away! The winter is past and the rain has come. The time of the singing of birds has come.

These verses from the Song of Songs are beautiful and fitting.

The greenest of greens is all around me, the dew of each morning is perfectly cool. The birds are still wildly active and full of life! We must mow almost every day because the grass is so verdant. Beauty and new life, a picture of our place in Christ Jesus.

Ask the Holy Spirit to fill you today with strength and wisdom, with Himself.




No comments: