"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Moments

Ed's Graduation Speech

Ed, As your mom and teacher I know much more about you than any other human being on earth. God knows your heart.

Today I'm going to give a glimpse of you to everyone else sitting here.

I know they all appreciate you---but I want them to see a bit of my view.

You have become a bright light.

This dinner marks your academic progress---ongoing, of course:

You have directed your own education, and you've succeeded masterfully.

"The world is your oyster" comes to mind, at least in the academic sense. I see those high marks in all subjects.


I am not good at math, so I take pictures of the assignments in my math classes I sub for, and text them to Ed so he can help me teach things I don't understand!

But academics is only a part of the whole that is Ed.

Music. I'm thrilled you share my love of the pipe organ. I am the most fortunate mom. I get to hear you practice. I love it.

I'm impressed, too, as is anyone who listens to you.

And then I must speak of your character, your personality.

You shine here, Ed.

From the day you were diagnosed with Leukemia I told you often, "I'm so glad you exist."

We didn't know how long we'd have.

You'd already been battling bi-polar disorder, instability, life challenges for sure...but then you had a whole new challenge----CANCER---and you managed that, with aplomb, even,

Now you face challenges with artificial knees----surgery coming up just weeks from now---but I feel you'll manage that too.

The bank where you work is lucky to have you. You've benefited from them too.

How many teenage boys deal with a half dozen middle aged women on a daily basis?

Your world and my world are inverted right now! :)

So, Ed, whatever path you choose----engineering, music, linguistics, computers, banking, philosophy, theology----I feel confident that GOD will keep you, bless you, make His face shine upon you.

I'm glad you EXIST!


No comments: