"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Lake Minnetonka

Minnetonka means Big Water.

There is a lake not far from Corgi Hollows which has 125 miles of shoreline. I tried to find out how many homes are on the lake, but homes have about 100 feet of shoreline. Do the math. That's many houses!

Some have a 1,000 feet of shoreline. Those are the homes that are priced in the multi millions.

Minnetonka is a beautiful, interesting, historic lake, and yesterday we rented a pontoon to spend a few hours boating on several bays.

The children were "made" to accompany us, but they all agreed that it was a day well spent.  A good friend who also attends our prophecy study on Sunday evenings came along too.

We started under cloudy gray skies, but the forecast became true and the day ended with a severe sunburn on my legs and face for me.

The water is so beautiful, reflecting the shore, the sky. Margaret was the only one to jump in and take a swim. She chose the bay south of Spring Park, near Island Park. She said the water wasn't cold, just right.

We saw some huge fish caught, netted. One boat nearly capsized during the struggle to reel the creature in. Must have been a Muskie.


I never have spent much time on the lake in a boat, but I do think there wasn't nearly the traffic on Lake Minnetonka yesterday that was on it in my memories.

We had entire bays to ourselves, yesterday.


I wonder if it is a sign of the times. People are so focused on their phones and computers that they don't care about getting out much.

My own children seem to be somewhat affected by this trend. Big Brother has captivated us all.

Philosophizing aside, the beauty of God's Nature was in full evidence to us. The trees were incredibly green. Perhaps Lake Minnetonka has more weeds than it should, but it really seemed to be a healthy ecosystem. We saw plenty of fish, and the water seemed really clean.

I've been swimming in Lake Independence this summer, and although rather weedy (Millfoil, probably) it seems like the water is clean. I don't itch when I get out. I think that's a good sign. I assume that Lake Minnetonka has similar conditions. We've had so much rain and snow that the water has perhaps rejuvenated.

There's a book I read when I was in high school, "Once Upon a Lake," written by an erstwhile Wayzata Public Library Librarian. I found it at Half Price Books recently and bought myself a copy to re-read.

It is a history of Lake Minnetonka, and it fascinated me then,  fascinates me now.

She wrote that we tend to overlook the most interesting things that have happened in places that become mundane to us. We need to be jarred into awareness to appreciate our surroundings.

I agree.

I could mention so many things learned in that book, the significance of the lake to the Natives, the first settlers that developed apples for harsh winters, the old hotels that drew people from the South for cool summers, the streetcar boats, the estates owned by the Pillsburys, (yes, THOSE Pillsburys) Noerenburgs, others. The lake has been mentioned numerous times in literature and song.

It's a jewel in Minnesota.





No comments: