"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Sunday, June 21, 2020

Dear Ones

The girls and I have had three days of driving and grieving.

Last week we left Minnesota to see Margaret's new job and home farming in New Hampshire. My husband, lover of all things, really, was excited to hike a small section of the Appalachian Trail for the day, the part close to where the old man of the mountain rock face that adorns all NH roadsigns existed.
We had a short hike the first day all together at a popular hiking spot. The next day we drove to the ocean in Maine, walked around the lighthouse in Portland, and dipped our feet in the ocean. What a wonderful day! We all slept well that night!
Brian was up early on Thursday, excited and happy, kissed me goodbye, took Margaret to work at the farm in her car and was off on the trip to hike before the real heat set in.
I had our car.
I got the call you cannot ever imagine mid-morning while Cherie and I were brunching at Margaret's farm.
It was all over, already.
Brian had hiked up three miles and had a heart attack that took him to be with Jesus.
There were no mistakes.
This popular trail had several good Samaritans who valiantly tried CPR for over an hour. The effort to get him back down the mountain was significant, and the rescue team was wonderful. I spoke with the kindest officer.

The autopsy revealed a very damaged heart. He was otherwise in perfect health. My husband, so perfect in almost all ways.

Our hearts are broken. At this point we have been slowly driving and grieving back to Minnesota. Many conversations with God.

I have not had the opportunity to make any cogent plans, but I do know what Brian wanted, and I'm going to try to do as much as I can to make that happen.

Death in the time of Covid is unfair. It is different. I ask for your understanding as we navigate these complications.

I will write more about things, and Brian, as I have time.

Right now I ask for your prayers for me, and my children. My oldest son has been deployed and will be coming home. We are trying to keep things very small and close because of timing and Covid.

Please be understanding. I know many of you are grieving with us, still in shock, unable to process our monumental loss of husband, son, father, brother, uncle, nephew, cousin, colleague, friend.

And Brian was a friend to all.

Our comfort is Christ. Our hope is heaven. Brian is with Jesus.

When I would talk about heaven he usually responded in glad voice: eye hath not seen, nor ear heard!!

Brian's eyes see and his ears hear.

Resurrection day is coming SOON!

MARANATHA!!!

See you soon, lover-dove.

7 comments:

Leah said...

Praying for you so so many times throughout each day. Thank you for the update, as we wondered when you would be on the road. Continued prayers. Rejoicing with you that Brian is enjoying heaven and that God makes no mistakes and He is never surprised. Thankful that He is near to you and your children now, in a very special way. He weeps with you. He knows your needs.
Love you, dear friend!

Unknown said...

Dear Con, Mark and I have been praying for your family since we heard the news. I cannot imagine what you are feeling. We will continue to offer up prayers for your family that God will comfort and strengthen you all during this time.

Venetac@gmail.com said...

Dear Con..our family’s prayers are with you and you family..May God be with you all. Lisa and Fred and I have so many good memories of you .. We ask for the love and comfort of our God be with you ..lovingly, the Clark family

Jenni said...

You and your family have been continually in our thoughts and prayers since we heard the news. I cannot even imagine but am grateful for a God who knows all and holds your tears in a bottle. Praying for a peace that passes understanding!!!!

Unknown said...

Con, I have been praying for you and the family. Sending you hugs and love.

Valerie

Sheri Simmer said...

My heart breaks for you and your kids! I’m in prayer for you all.

Unknown said...

My heart aches for you and youur family Con. How I loved singing with you dear people. My thoughts and prayers are with you ad I a sending healing energy to surround you. May the lord hold you close as I know He will. Sending much love, Mary