"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Home Again

At least for two days. On Friday we go back to the clinic for another spinal tap and chemotherapy treatment.

It was touch and go last night.

Two units of blood made Ed feel nauseous, and a chemo treatment on top of that put him in the "Should we go home or not?" la-la land.

These days are certainly the lowest of lows. His numbers revealed no "blasts" yesterday, and that is good. His white blood cells are incredibly disappearing with the treatment. This leaves his immune system with little fight.

Therefore, we must guard against any virus or infection.

Cherie has been with her grandparents for a few days, complacent, easy child that she is, she has blessed them. I look forward to her return today.

Last fall, when Ed was diagnosed bi-polar on October 1, I thought my life had changed forever. In a way I feel that the worst "change" was already in progress for us, but this leukemia thing has taken it to a whole new level.

I needed to explain that Ed went through a 35 lb. weight gain on Risperidone, since his bi-polar diagnosis. He lost it with the "tonsillitis" since April. Anyone with that kind of weight roller coaster has difficulties! Since the Prednizone does the same thing the Risperidone does regarding weight we have to be extremely careful with this double dosage of meds. His diet needs to keep his blood sugar low, as chemo also spikes that! Lots of battles to fight.

We've been preparing ourselves for the hair loss and the "cushinoid" look. It shouldn't last, but this month will be tough.

I hope that explains what's happening here to many of you wonderful friends who have shown concern.

Last October I thought of a word that described what I felt like: fortressing.

Fortressing is building the foundation I need to get through crises. It may mean battlements, it may mean reinforcements. It might mean that a wall goes up. I say this to explain my natural tendency toward introversion, and I -in NO way- want to give the impression of rebuffing ANYONE! Sometimes I need time to adjust, and I will call this fortressing.

I welcome your love, concern, your interest, your help, your PRAYER.

Please know this.

With keeping you informed (and thankfully I already had this blog going strong) here in this convenient way I trust that you all will be aware of how to pray.

I'm still going to be the crazy prophecy freak I've always been, so those of you who come for updates may have to scroll over that if it's not your cup of tea.

Speaking of tea, please come and sit with us in the garden by the fish pond and enjoy a "spot" of it. I will try to have a batch of "Trim Healthy Mama" scones in the oven for us to share. You will have a darling Corgi at your feet adoring you, and a black lab who will think you came to see her.


Our yard will become our place to get through this hard month--if Minnesota ever gets a few dry days this summer!

2 comments:

Jill said...

I'm looking forward to our visit next week and hoping it will be dry enough to enjoy your garden!

Unknown said...

I make it a point to look for your updates. You all are in my most sincere prayers for strength through illness. I know your God Is one of healing and compassion.