"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sunday Night in the Hospital

I'm writing from home, actually, but Ed is still in the hospital. Margaret is on duty tonight.

I'm starting to get very tired. This past week has been exhausting.

So, Ed has an infection by the port site. This was finally agreed upon by all clinic personnel. Apparently this is extremely rare, probably resulting from surgery last Saturday. That much is known.

He is responding to antibiotics intravenously, and for that we are GRATEFUL!

Should he not get better there will be surgery to remove the port and we'll be waiting a month to replace it.

Therefore we PRAY that the infection subsides.

Ed is high risk, and his ANC count went down from when he came home last Tuesday.

So the journey is off to a bumpy start.

We don't know when he'll be able to come home from the hospital right now. Because his condition is delicate he needs to be where they can help him, monitor him, and give him what he needs.

Yesterday and today he was nauseated, but the pain by his port was less. Gains and losses.

Things can never be simple, but we try to keep going with stuff at home. Pets need extra care right now, and that can be annoying. Corgi Hollows was a well-oiled machine regarding pet care, before, and now we all need to rise to the task of keeping them, our task schedule is jumbled.

I am SO grateful for friends who have offered their help with the lawn and other things. Wonderful blessings!

Bible School starts for Cherie tomorrow, so she'll be busy this week with her friends. Margaret prepares for her life-guarding adventure in the north. I will be at the hospital, and in and out.

My husband visited the bees yesterday. Perhaps you've heard about the rainfall we've had recently. Flooding is happening almost everywhere, and the swamps by the beehives are now small lakes. My dad says that in 50 years the level has never been so high. That is a lot of water. I cross the Mississippi twice a day to get from home to the hospital, and the level is uncannily high. It is a raging torrent.

The Bees. They seem to be doing pretty well. One hive of the seven, in particular, is extraordinary. We should get some honey from it surely. Another hive apparently swarmed. Let's hope they found a cozy new home where they can live for years as a feral colony. I always hope that with swarms!

I am grateful for friends who know how to check things out. I am not that kind of person. Research never thrilled me. I do love to read, and I've got my share of facts and figures, but I am immensely grateful for those friends I have who are doing homework for me.

The metaphor that keeps coming to mind regarding what we're experiencing is a train. I feel like we got on a train, and that train has left the station. We are on it for years. I'm just sizing up the fellow passengers and figuring out how to use this mode of conveyance. It's all new.

Maybe because we took Amtrack last fall for the first time ever I'm subliminally comparing? That, however, was a pleasant trip.

Back in those days before our world rocked and tipped.

Pray Ed's infection goes away. Pray for him. He's keeping a "stiff upper lip," but when they told him he couldn't go home on Friday there were a few tears.

Disappointment. It's setting in.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Praying for endurance.