"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Friday, June 20, 2014

What, Where, When, Why, and How

Questions abound in our minds lately.  I think we answer them in the wee hours of the nights when sleep is difficult.

What's going on?  Cancer, specifically leukemia,  acute lymphoblastic leukemia.

When is this all going to be over? Three and a half years.

Where are we getting treatment? The oncology/blood disorder department of Children's Hospital Minneapolis.

Why is this happening? ---Why not? First and foremost, this dear world is fraught with abnormals. Sometimes our immune systems are overcome, and the bad takes over. "In this world you will have trouble, but take heart...I have overcome the world," said Jesus.

How this happened we may never know, said the nurse practitioner this morning. Why Ed? No answer.

Today was a puzzler. We are back in the hospital because the port is infected. Naturally Ed prefers to be home. There is probably no good answer for the reason we're here today except that someone forgot to wear gloves one night, or didn't wash...or dropped something...We wont know.  We are disappointed that the chemotherapy roadmap has a blip already.

But we are grateful for a good hospital. 

Will Ed learn to drive this summer? Probably not. He probably wont be lifeguarding this fall, even though he passed the test and earned his certification.  He will continue to be home schooled, especially concentrating on math and science.

Perhaps by fall we will know another sort of "normal," much as we learned with his earlier diagnosis.

I don't know.

I do know that we have special help from my fellow believers in Christ, that we have many wonderful friends who are showing concern and praying and sending cards...meals...books... The lawn is mowed  (!) and a house project is getting done because of caring friends. How can we ever thank you? We are grateful.

For your prayers I thank you. Just knowing a cry is arising from earth to heaven from hundreds of voices comforts me. Prayer is for us, the pray-ers, primarily, as God already knows the outcome, but there is power in prayer in that it alligns us with God's design. We don't twist His arm, but we are better able to see His ideas, His plan. We are somehow drawn into a stronger position to handle whatever this life throws at us.

Therefore, pray! Please!

May God, our marvelous creator, be praised, even in our heartache.

3 comments:

RReihmer said...

Con, so many people ask "why?" when something happens. I like your response- why not. I've never heard that before and it stops you from dwelling, i.e. getting hung up on that "why me." part.
Also, I've been struggling with "prayer" for some time- how it impacts us, touches God, etc. You answered many of my questions in your simple paragraph. Thanks for sharing.

Corgi Hollows said...

Thank you, Renee. Your friendship has always meant much to me.

Unknown said...

I've just discovered your blog tonight and have read a few entries and listened to a couple beautiful, meaningful songs. I'm a fan. Not that you are looking for fans but just to say, I will be checking in more often than not and then joining others in praying for your family and especially Ed. As was written above, I liked your response to 'Why did this happen?'. God is using you already. He is being glorified.