"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Friday, August 8, 2014

Allergic Reaction

Face goes from pasty to bright red
 Lips start swelling
 Throat constricts
 Breathing is hard

 Stop the med
 Eight people appear almost out of nowhere
Abdominal pain, nausea, vomit

It just isn't pretty. Two bloodshot eyes met mine in a question,

"What's going to happen here, Mom?"

He didn't say it, but I read it. Later I found out that it was one of the scariest moments he'd ever had. I was glad for a quiet, calm, and practically studious crew who knew how to deal with allergic reactions.

When things got a little calmer and we all knew he was going to live, a nurse sidled over to me and asked me how I was doing!

She knew how traumatic it could be for a parent to see her child in anaphylactic reaction. I was simply an observer, other than holding Ed's hand, and then the bucket for this nausea.

You just never know what a day will bring, do you? I certainly didn't. They saved his life. We spent the night in the hospital, his swollen head reducing in size. Fluids through IV. Today after two blood transfusions we were able to head home. Some swelling was apparent this morning, but he looked better as the day went on.

Delicate conditions.

Strange experiences.

It's been a bumpy road.

"Jesus walked that lonesome valley,
He had to walk it by Himself.
Oh, nobody else could walk it for Him...He had to walk it by Himself"

Thankful He walks our road with us.

Ed is with us, thank the LORD.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Frightening. Prayers for you all.