"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Chartreuse to Sage

One morning last week I woke up to sunlight transforming our hollows from electric chartreuse green to a gentler, warmer faded green. It looked more sage. The summer had grown long and mature.

I am hearing the loon cry as I write this, and I'm pretty sure that we have a couple months of beautiful days left this year, before the loon heads out to the Gulf of Mexico. Two Pileated Woodpeckers visited the yard this morning as Predicate the cat took a turn around the shrubbery, stopping at the catnip for a snack.

She was unconcerned, but I think they could have made short work of her had they desired.

Margaret returned in the night. Tired and looking radiant, my lovely daughter is home. Cherie talked non-stop to her for half an hour, so happy to see her.

I am SO glad she was able to have her adventure. It went well.

My friend came again yesterday to help me clean, fixing the house up for the adventurer's return. So sweet of her! It's fun to have everything so spiffy. Now that we're getting caught up we can start doing our "Fly Lady" routines again!

Projects continue.

Ed feels pretty well these days. He's trying to master computer programming, so he chafes at the bit to get more computer time. I'm the damper to his enthusiasm, only allowing a limited time on the computer each day. Rules are rules.

I finished administering the second round of chemotherapy at home last Sunday. It went okay. This week's chemo will be at the clinic, after the oral chemo cycle finishes on Thursday. Ed and I both felt crabby this past week, and the nurse said it was a "stage of grief" we had reached.

I guess that makes sense. Everything has stages.

I am always amazed and touched at hearing people are praying for Ed. I got a sweet note from a person I've never met, telling me that their family is praying for us. Wow. Just wow! I hear that churches all over the Midwest are lifting up Ed in their prayers. Oh, how thankful I am! Cards and words of encouragement continue to come in, daily lifting our spirits!

God is good. He cares for His children. He makes the trials smoother, He aids our recovery, soothes our cares. Knowing His peace gives us distinct ability to deal with life.

My daughters-in-law have had interesting things lately: One was accepted to do a master's degree in family counseling! The other is racing catamarans in the Columbia River, Oregon, this week. Her boat is in second place right now, maybe a championship is possible?

Things just continue to be colorful. At times I think this is a summer that didn't happen----the usual Minnesota summer, that is. No time by the lake, no exercise, few campfires, camping?? Nope. Actually this weekend is the annual church camp-out, and Cherie wants to go very badly. My husband (who is running on little sleep with a non-stop drive to and from Winnipeg) plans to make that happen.

Open wounds preclude any camping for Ed. Really, that wound is closing up fast. Healing from the inside out, layer by layer, the healing is a fascinating example of God's design in our bodies! That this design can do three things--reproduce, exist while growing to maturity, and heal itself----is so remarkable that it merits deep analysis! To be genetically programmed in this way is a miracle. We still need to take care to keep the site of the wound clean. Camping might jeopardize the healing.

Perhaps by early fall it will be healed.

The new incision is completely closed over the new port. It looks beautiful.

Thankful.

Sage green is a mellow color. I'm ready for mellow.



No comments: