"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, October 24, 2019

Taking the Day...

I cannot stop wanting to write, and that is why I'm taking a few moments this morning to put down some thoughts.

I've been busy subbing, busy at the hotel (five days this week!) busy reading and writing for my master's degree. I've been meeting new people, having house guests, dealing with power outages at the hotel (that is really a challenge!) and trying to at least talk to my parents every day.

I've been unpacking thoughts and griefs.

I watch my poor husband fight a losing battle over house projects, old car repairs, yard work that just gets ignored, and getting to work everyday. With the loss of his "go to work" car in California this past summer (a total and costly loss!) things have been hard on him. Thankfully my parents had an old pick up that was available for him to get to work in.

Today the refrigerator started leaking a ton of water, probably from the ice maker.

I moved all the freezer items to the big old chest freezer my friend gave me. Thankful for the extra freezer space. Let's just hope that the things in the fridge don't spoil too quickly. My husband, the jack -of -all -trades handy man will take a look at it tonight.

Cheri has an interview for a job today at the hotel. I'm pretty sure she'll get it, because housekeepers (the job she's wanting) are a cyclic bunch, and they (we) are desperate for help right now.

Life is so different now. I am struck by the losses: homeschooling, cohesiveness, predictability, quiet, loved ones, relationships, time to reflect.

That's all gone now. There are good things that are new! I'm dwelling on the things that are happening. Seasons come and go, and the trick is to be realistic, assessing things accurately, going with the flow, meeting the challenges head-on.

It sounds like some schtick from a TEDS talk, but it is truth. We must move on.

Most of my days are exhausting right now, but it is a season.

Margaret is helping her grandparents in Iowa for a couple of weeks. She got herself some working wheels, and she was outta here! She's angling for a little place to live downtown with some Christian young people. Her winning ways and astute brains have four places wanting her to work for them. Alas, all of these positions are not "career" jobs. She is finding her path. Now to get rid of her car bones parked in the back: an old Subaru, an old Dodge 4x4 pick-up, the vehicles that no longer work for her. She mourned the loss of both of those cars, but they couldn't last forever.

Ed gets downtown every day. Since his car repeatedly overheats or the brakes have issues we get him to the closest bus stop and pick him up at night. Extra time, extra driving for all of us. He's loving his studies in computer engineering. One of his profs at the U had an informal social time last Friday. He provided pizza and had his Mastiff greet each student personally. Ed loved it. I don't remember ANY of my profs having a social gathering when I was at the U years ago!

When you lose a family member you immediately (irrationally) fear for everyone else in the family. Everyone seems dearer, more vulnerable. It's hard to say good bye to them in the morning, watching them drive away in an old car that may or may not make it home that night.

We are not supposed to fear----remember, it says do not fear 365 times in the Bible, once for each day of the solar year. We are not supposed to fear, but what about the unthinkable happening???

God knows. He understands. He is there to comfort and guide. Where else would we turn?

Can we trust Him to work ALL things for good? Even tragedy?

Yes. Yes, we can.


"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hears my voice and opens the door I will come in and sup with him. " Revelation 3:20

Jesus never forces. He waits. He knocks. He's persistent. He's always there to help us in our deepest pain and sorrow, griefs beyond expressing.

OPEN THE DOOR!



Well, back to my Strategic Planning and Theories of Leadership classes. My Non-Profit class has a lighter load at the moment. Since our hotel was at maximum occupancy this week the laundry has been remarkable. I have that to look forward to this afternoon. There is joy in serving Jesus...!

Subbing for Language Arts tomorrow. Those days when I sub from 7 to 3, then work 3 to 11 at the hotel are difficult. I took today off. A human can only bear so much...

The tea is on Sunday. It's our day to clean the church, so my two wonderful youngest children will rise to the occasion and do that while I prepare for the women's gathering in the afternoon. If you want to discuss prophecy and pray, and you are female, please join us! Email me for the address.

corgihollows@gmail.com

We have two new women coming this week, for sure. Come and be a third...

Let's hope the refrigerator is fixed by then. I pray for stuff like that, too.


A note about social media: I recently made some drastically needed changes. I pared down my Facebook friend's list and made my account private. Facebook is now my place to keep in touch with old school friends and new prophecy friends. I used it before primarily as an evangelism tool. I deleted my Instagram entirely, so I apologize to those there. I was getting some unwanted attention since my brother's death. You can still find me on Twitter (and I'm VERY POLITICAL and raw there, so be warned) and Pinterest. If you want to reach me email me at the above address. Thanks for your understanding.



No comments: