"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Because He Lives!

I can face tomorrow!
Because He lives
all fear is gone!
Because I know---
He holds the future
And life is worth the living
Just because He lives!

I don't know about you, but I don't know as much as I'd like to about this Corona virus that is devastating our world as we know it.

Is it really that bad ?
It seems that unexpected people are being lost to it, younger people, older, famous...

It looks terrible over in Italy. Spain looks bad too. How can we possibly know what the Communists are hiding in China? Or what about the Ayatollas of Iran? How can we trust their word?

I know a young person who was very sick for two weeks. No apparent underlying condition. I know it has a strange incidence of spreading---small towns, large cities, back woods cabins neighborhoods...

Then you hear that we probably have been exposed to it already. You hear that it is still coming. How will my body react to it? Will flattening the curve ultimately save lives, or not?

Will this affect my soldier sons? Will it affect my kids who are still "essential employees" in the public forum? Will it affect the many healthcare workers among my family and friends? Will it affect the elderly? My mom and dad?

Maybe in two weeks much more will be known. At least there seems to be a medication that is working in some people.

We can be thankful for that.

Staying home for me is anything but a burden. I was able to finish a little crocheted baby blanket for my brand new granddaughter (who is as cute as can be :)). I am working on my studies, but I admit my brain has been overtaxed by that. I didn't sign up for all of this trauma when I started graduate school last fall. It seems that my studies are on a set path to being sabotaged.

Thankful for kind and understanding professors. Life has truly been hard, and they can see that.

Just when you think you are out of the "woods" something else creeps up. I know. It's true.

I'm thankful that the Lord remembers we are dust. He promises that. We are weak and easily fooled, led astray.

Everyday I try to get out into the back fields and walk with Corwyn. The sun has been shining and because the highway is pretty quiet I've been shocked by the frogs that have sung their way back to life after the stillness of winter. It's deafening by the swamps!

We are experiencing an unusually warm spring, but the swamps are pretty full of water right now. I'm still expecting blizzards in April, and the rule in Minnesota is that you DON'T PLANT UNTIL MAY 15!

I've broken that rule before. I think this year I'll do it earlier, if I can. The garden is so inviting, rich soil ready to go. Some of the herbs that I let stand from last year are already shooting up green leaves deep down under the dead foliage: parsley, catmint, even the sages look like they could spring to life. We'll see.

I've tried several new recipes, and Margaret made the most delicious carrot cake. She used the Lincoln Del's old recipe. It's the best home-made carrot cake I've ever had. I usually like "Key's" these days. So good!

One recipe I made for breakfast today was "Oat Health Bars" from a little Minnesota cookbook. They are hardly healthy, but VERY tasty!

Recipe:

1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar

Melt in Sauce pan on stove, stirring until butter is melted. Add one teaspoon vanilla, 2 cups of oats (I used quick oats) and 1 teaspoon Baking Powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir together and pour into a greased pan.

Bake in 8x8 pan for 30 minutes at 350.

Corwyn is getting multiple walks these days. She doesn't even want to go anymore. Topi BEGS to go outside all day, everyday. He's a loner and can't handle all of us hanging out here.

The pets are putting up with us.

Just put chicken and rice casserole in the oven. Better check it...

In the meantime I'm humming a song that is full of reassurance and hope. He lives!




No comments: