"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Corgi's Tips for Getting Back on Track

Just so you know, right off the bat, I fail everyday. Take my tips for what they are worth!

And yet, 25 years of homeschooling four college graduates, (the fifth is a full time college student), countless books have been read, I HAVE JUST A LITTLE PERSPECTIVE on motivation, and that is the key to NOT WASTING TIME.

I am working on a degree in public administration, and believe me, the last weeks have challenged me in ways I never thought of!

If you go back in my blog you will find some posts about getting through difficult times. I have seen the Lord's help and with His strength we've navigated some pretty rough storms.

Joblessness
Cancer
Anxiety
Illness
Loss

Some of my advice sounds ridiculously infantile. I agree. It is those days of stark shock that the infantile becomes so vital.

For my kids I had several laminated lists and white boards with these 10 things written:

1. Get Up
2. Eat Breakfast
3. Use the bathroom
4. Wash yourself
5. Brush your hair
6. Brush your teeth
7. Get dressed
8. Make your bed
9. Clean your room
10. Chore

My mom said that these tips can be assigned to a finger for a young child, and they can do them practically automatically.

After these 10 Things we would have an hour (or more) of Reading Time, always started with Scripture. After that we "Unschooled."

I always had several math curriculums lying around, particularly Saxon. Our house has its own library, particularly Children's Literature, which was one of my concentrations at the University of Minnesota (My other concentration was German, my major was Education). There was plenty of reading going on all day, everyday.

I had a menu for the week's suppers which really helped me:

Monday: Beef
Tuesday: Chicken
Wednesday: Italian
Thursday: Surprise!
Friday: Fish
Saturday: Burgers and Shakes
Sunday: (if needed ---we often ate at "The Club" (Costco), or potluck at church) stir fry

It rarely got too boring because you can use so many different recipes with these perimeters. The kids helped with cooking often. I loved grinding my wheat berries and making fresh bread with our OWN honey. The kids made their own lunches and breakfasts. I supervised. I made sure the four basic food groups were covered (caffeine, salt, sugar, and grease! Just kidding ;)_.)

Those were the days.

I read "Confessions of an Organized Housewife" and "Sink Reflections." I recommend  "Sink Reflections" to everyone.

I read organization books out loud to the kids. I read etiquette books out loud to them. I read great works of fiction out loud. I read whatever was important out loud. I'd read fitness and diet books, theology, prophecy, history, cookbooks....I covered ALL THE SUBJECTS.

Having a husband who has a degree in English Literature was very helpful as well. We had very refined taste in our family media choices----it's what we like.

It's fun to hear what my now adult children remember about growing up home-schooled. There are resentments and disappointments, but pretty much happy memories stand out. Cherie has had the most different experience, mainly because of Ed's cancer and our move to the country. She has been far more independent than the other four. She also has team sports, cross country and track, to participate in. The others all became life guards.

We spent a lot of time OUTSIDE. I think this is incredibly important. Children need to be outside discovering God's creation intimately.

So, do you have something in mind for supper? Have you done your 10 things? Had you had devotions yet? Spend an hour or two outside with the pup, or just yourself.

What project has needed doing? Can you get at least a half an hour done on it?  My studies say that even one half hour spent on the most important thing will give an incredible productivity and accomplishment.

I finished two yarn projects during this time of quarantine, as well as my project for my class. The house is getting spring-cleaned, and the trees are getting (slowly) processed. We've tried new recipes and we've been OUTSIDE! I'm checking my phone once or twice a day to keep up with news and you all, but overall I'm getting things done. Every month I make a list of things that are important to me. It's quite long. I'm always encouraged by seeing what is crossed off, done, as the months go by. Life is full, incredible, worthwhile, interesting.

Get something done! Don't waste this precious opportunity of time.

Classes started up again on Monday for me and Cheri. Ed's started already again last week. Everything is online, so it's an adjustment, especially for the kids. Margaret is a sunny bright spot in all of our lives, helping cook and do projects. She's using this time wisely to prepare for the summer.

I can't wait to see my new little granddaughter again! I only got to see her once before we all stayed home. It's been two weeks and although I'm experiencing the usual spring allergy stuff we're all pretty sure we don't have the dreaded virus. I'm thinking and hoping we can meet with them soon.

Back to work...:)




No comments: