"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

God of the Minute

One of my favorite themes is God's interest in the fine details of life.

I had a moment to experience this with a good friend in Germany.

Remember the day we went to the church that Karl Marx was married in?  Let me begin with that day...

After a delightful breakfast of fresh rolls and coffee, homemade jam, wurst and cheese, we headed by foot downtown Bad Kreuznach. My friend took the day off to show us around.

I was badly in need of a haircut (I know, I really wanted to have a cut in Germany, so I purposed not to get a cut before we left!) so that was in the plan for the day.

It was Friday, so there was a farmer's market in the city center. My friend wanted me to see an especially fine hat shop. If you buy even a stocking cap there it is lovingly pressed and packaged--as if it were for a royal ball---and the hat ware was truly remarkable! We walked in the shop, to admire.

Timing is everything. As we left the shop we met the wife of the artist of an exhibit we wanted to view. We had intended to see it later that day.

"It's open only for another half hour," she told us.

Timing. Off we went to see the collection of paintings. The theme was the Apocalypse.  I've been reading Revelation this whole year, so I was familiar with the subject matter!

Fascinating work, and interesting interpretation. One of the paintings had a lovey-sweet message of universal harmony of religion. Yes, that is in the Bible, but it hardly has a blessed implication! Whoops. Major miss.

As we left the exhibit my friend saw the pastor of the church. She knew the sanctuary was locked, so she asked if we could see it. The pastor indicated that the church organist *happened* to be outside, unlocking her bike to leave. My friend ran outside to catch her before she rode off.

Sure, no problem! She would let us in the church and even show us the organ...

Ed then had the opportunity to play. The organist said, "Oh, he knows what he is doing...Just lock it up when you are through..."

My friend said that she couldn't have PLANNED that rendezvous with the organist! Had she tried to call and set up an appointment it would never have happened...

Tears in our eyes, we realized that God had indeed made the plans for us.

I did mention that the organ is brand new. I'm not sure if it has even had its dedication yet! It is a beautiful instrument, and we enjoyed the very sweet and relaxed impromptu organ concert.

After that we found the Turkish hair salon. I enjoyed the meticulous cut by the gentleman from Turkey.  (I'm sorry, but European/Turkish salons just are wonderful...I'm a patriot through and through, but hair is just handled differently over there!)

The day wasn't over. We drove up the Nahe river, over to the cloister where Hildegard of Bingen grew up. It is a ruin on top of a small mountain. The vineyards cover the steep sides of the burg, and the tall stone walls from hundreds of years ago still stand, eery and empty, massive ruins of a by-gone shrine.

We drove to another castle, lovely, remodeled into a retreat center.

Back home to the delicious supper of Wild Boar and new potatoes.

The sun was shining, and the weather mild.

Just one perfect day in a series of many, and all planned and orchestrated by the God of details.



No comments: