"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Dark of the Year

Outside our friends' home in Wiesbaden the night before we returned home.


If it weren't for the lights, the smells and the Christmas preparation we'd all feel a little dark right now.

I'm still working off of the "high" of our trip, reliving each moment and memory, remembering things from my first time in Germany, 25 years ago.

I never thought it would be so long before we returned, but I am grateful for the refreshment of good old times and for the fruitful years in between.

Perhaps you've watched Ed on the organ in the previous post. Truly it was an experience of a lifetime for any 14 year old! Herr Hielscher was a gracious helper and host to this experience.

Ed baked bread and worked on the piano today. Our old 1907 piano needed to be tuned and adjusted today. The piano tuner said it will be fine for another hundred years...! It's ready for the carols to be played.

Ed had his practice time on the organ at the catholic church in our neighborhood. They were decorating for Christmas while he played. He's starting to have an audience! The last two times I wasn't the only one sitting in the pews listening.

Actually his teacher told him yesterday that he is ready to play for a service. Guess that will be in January.

I just made sweet potato cake. I'll frost it with cream cheese frosting and distribute it to the neighbors. I like to do something (little) for our neighbors every year, even if it's a quick little thing.

This year I tried the Pinterest idea of using a Sharpie on white plates to draw decorations. It worked pretty well. The colors turned in the oven some, but it was fun to do. These plates are perfect to give the neighbors, filled with something yummy, of course.

Margaret is chugging through her finals. She will be vastly relieved to finish after tonight. My older sons are dallying away their vacation already! I must put them to work on something soon...

Ed made Spritz cookies, Cherie made gingerbread men. We've been treated to See's Candy and delicious homemade cookies from my husband's co-workers! How spoiled we are!

I made up a batch of Chai Tea mix AND Russian Spice tea mix last night. It's been fueling the younger set today!

My friends in Germany have sent coffee home with us, with the proper filters for an "Echte Kaffee"----a real treat with Christmas cookies.

I started to write my Christmas cards ----yes, they will be late this year, unless I can finish them tonight. I've got presents to wrap and packages to mail. I'm running late, but that is the story of my life when it comes to Christmas!

I finished knitting red wool mittens last night for......???? (I know!)  I had the inspiration as we were reading the Betsy-Tacy books this fall.  The mittens turned out really cute!

And it IS the last day of fall, and days will begin to get longer after tomorrow!

And the darkness will dispel.

No comments: