"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Nice Christmas

I hope you had a wonderful day celebrating Christmas!

It's strange how we change from year to year, either from physical illness or age, emotional stress, or philosophical influence. Christmas is one of those test-markers for taking inventory on these statuses (or stati) for me, and I would suspect for many of us.

Since I watched "The Star" about Bethlehem's star and the astronomical events surrounding the likely time of Christ's birth I see Christmas somewhat differently.

Yes, we celebrate Jesus' birthday (though it likely was in June), we give gifts (like the wise men) and feast like the pagans, but each year something changes.

We love to see our children satisfied with a happy Christmas. We enjoy the warmth of friendships and invitations to parties. We are moved by the sweet music. We like to reflect.

Christmas is a time of waiting. I find myself increasingly longing for the second appearance of our Lord at this time of year.

No matter how perfect the year has been, with expectations surpassed, it seems that as we mature the longing intensifies.

How long, O Lord? How long?

Your people long for your reappearing! Death, where is your sting? Grave, where is your victory?

And we wait. We live, we serve, we love, we laugh.


No comments: